The Network Operation Centre (NOC) has three main roles:
1. To ensure maximum possible service availability and performance
2. To provide support services for Engineering and other technical teams
3. To provision customer network services on core equipment
4. These result in a highly diverse range of duties for the NOC – our engineers are required to ensure they are fulfilled in a timely, cooperative and professional manner.
5. We interact frequently with technical support team so it’s important that we are clear and concise in our communications. We also work very closely with the Engineering team and as such need to develop a good all-round understanding of systems and networks.
6. Diligence and attention to detail are also key skills along with an ability to multi-task and prioritize work appropriately.
7. We don t expect you to have all the required knowledge when you join us as many of these skills can be picked up through experience in the job, but those who do need to learn new skills must be prepared to spend time doing suitable research to ensure their grounding is thorough and properly understood. As your knowledge and confidence develop you may be asked to join our shift roster providing 24 7 support on our core infrastructure and services.
8. Importantly, NOC engineers must be eager and quick to learn, be clear communicators and must be able to use their initiative to tackle a broad range of problems.
9. Good monitoring and network diagnostic skills.
10. Basic Linux CLI skills.
11. Basic sysadmin skills.
12. Strong analytical skills and able to collate and interpret data from various sources.
13. Ability to assess and prioritize faults and respond or escalate accordingly.
14. Linux Network configuration and troubleshooting
15. Understanding of Traceroute path and finding the bad host
16. Basic Network Understanding and good knowledge of OSI layer
17. Experience of diagnosing network and service issues, following them through to resolution.
18. Understanding of different network device types like Switch, routers
19. Knowledge of Network link types like electrical and optical interface
20. Knowledge & understanding of Network device component failure like power supply failure
21. Basic understanding of network monitoring concepts and management tools.
a) Good academic background with a degree or equivalent qualification in Information Technology, Business Studies, Computing or relevant subject.
b) Fresher or 6 – 12 months of experience in a Technical Support or similar role.
c) Clear communicator (both written and verbal).
d) Good technical or WIKI documentation skills.
e) Willing to learn and develop new skills.
f) Good self – awareness. Actively seeks out tasks that help develop skills and knowledge.
g) Ability to work on own initiative. Actively seeks ways of improving existing systems and processes.
h) Can do attitude. Flexible and adaptable approach to problem-solving.
i) Cooperate with other teams.